Sunday, December 31, 2006

Making a CD: My equipment

As a reminder, this series of posts is a review of a special project I did for my students - recording them in the studio and getting CDs made of their performances.

But first, an overview of what equipment I have available, which influenced the process I went through.

In the studio at the music store (Young America Music in Macon, GA) I have a positively ancient Mac Classic (it runs at a whopping 16 MHz processor speed) that dates from 1992. I run opcode EzVision on it for basic sequencing work - I use it fairly often to record the kids as they play - they are amazed at the technology ("It's HOW old?) and the fasct they can hear themselves.

I teach on a home digital piano from Casio - it's what the store has available. It isn't bad, but not the best in the world by any stretch. Keys ARE weighted, though, and the piano sound is pretty good.

In the outhouse studio (so named because it's the house out back) I have a small recording setup - a Mac mini, Soundtrack software, and an M-Audio Firewire Audiophile interface. My keyboard is a Roland RD700 - has an excellent piano. I also have a mac G3 desktop - running (yep, you guessed it) Opcode's EzVision.

The fundamental problem (challenge!) is that I don't have a direct way to record the audio that the kids produce in the studio. A cassette recording is out of the question - quality is too low (and would be a real pain to get done).

So there's the setup and the problem. The story continues in the next post with details on the technologies used and the process........ all to give my students and their parents something to listen to.